History of the Roxy

By the Numbers


In the News



Our Crew

Movie Ratings Guide

Contact Us

Give the Gift of Movies

The Roxy's early days


Many of the pictures on this page were sent to us by Sharon Lincoln, daughter of Frank Faust, who along with A. C. Wolke was the builder and original owner of the Roxy.

This great picture of our auditorium was taken very early in the Roxy's history (maybe even on opening day!) The walls were a dark green textured stucco with gold swirls painted over the top. The ceiling was mostly a gold color. The decorative touches at the top of the walls were hand-painted.

The theatre featured four chandeliers (two are visible near the balcony.) In 1953 when the concession stand was added, the posts supporting the balcony were replaced by a steel beam. The theatre's capacity was 500 people. The plain wood chairs in the front rows were salvaged from the old Lincoln Theatre, and the rest of the chairs were new.
Original Roxy auditorium

This picture was taken in approximately 1921, nine years before the Roxy was built. (A wider version of this picture can be found on our History page.)

The Home Trading Co. building was purchased by Frank Faust and Tony Wolke in 1924 and converted into an automobile dealership. The building was destroyed by fire in 1929. The following spring, Faust and Wolke purchased the building next door, tore both down, and built the Roxy.

The farm equipment seen in the foreground was part of a McCormick Deering tractor show being put on by a local implement dealer.

The light-colored building on the right side of the picture was torn down in 2002 to make room for the building now housing Rosebud County Insurance.

This is the oldest outside picture we have of the Roxy. It was taken sometime in the first few years of operation, because the marquee isn't on the building yet.

The occasion of this picture was a Shirley Temple matinee. You can see a cutout of Shirley Temple at the edge of the sidewalk on the right side of the picture.

Another interesting item here is the huge bullhorn sitting on the theatre awning. (At least we think it's a bullhorn.)

The heavy chains which hold up the awning are still in place, now holding up the marquee.

This picture was taken in January of 1954. That's projectionist Mario Rangel making a splice, while theatre owner Frank Faust looks on.

You can see just the tail end of the #2 projector in this picture. This is one of the original Roxy projectors; they were destroyed by a booth fire in the 1950s, and replaced with similar (but more modern) machines.

The film can at Frank's feet is virtually identical to the cans that were used until the mid-1990s, when film reels began shipping in heavy fiberboard boxes.

The rewind bench and splicer Mario is working with were used in the booth right up until our remodeling in 1980.

The venetian blinds behind the rewind bench are long gone, having been replaced with a curtain.

This is a scene from early 1940.

In that era, the Roxy and many other theatres all over the country would have promotions such as "Bank Nite" every week. As you can see, the "bank" amount listed on the marquee is $240...quite a sum in those days. All through the week, people could sign up for the Bank Nite drawing, which would be held between the early and late shows on Wednesday nights. If the winner was not in the audience, the money was added to the "bank" for the next week.